Friday, December 4, 2009

I changed the channel

“If once the people become inattentive to the public affairs, you and I, and Congress and Assemblies, Judges and Governors, shall all become wolves. It seems to be the law of our general nature, in spite of individual exceptions.”
--Thomas Jefferson

The news was on and I didn’t want any part of its sadness and imperfection. I had a long routine day filled with stress and structure and just wanted to relax and not give a shit anymore. I can’t be bothered with problems I can’t help, or have a say in, so why even torture myself watching through my fish tank view. Who was the fish and who was on the outside still wasn’t clear. It just doesn’t seem right.

With the ease of pushing a button I changed the channel, the mood, and the setting taking me to a much happier and comforting place. It was TMZ, a news show that gives you all the latest on your favorite celebrities and their happenings. I found myself laughing at the famous, and their quirks, all the while wishing I was one of them. Glimpses into my American Dream gives me a motive to keep working for them, no matter how far off they seem.

I quick flip back to the dark news and I local hospital is having heat problems. The world was cold and so was I so I was back on TMZ and the beautiful actresses being stalked by all our prying eyes. Again I relax high as the heavens floating in the vapid space above. I’m starting to realize it’s all to easy. Way to easy.

Nobody wants to rattle the system anymore because the system provides all the little gadgets we need to be subdued and pacified. The internet, drugs, tv, video games, phone, computers, and ease anybody could dream of. The world outside of our bubble is not pretty right now, and everything that is happing is out of our narrow understanding. The two party system, both have now become about the same; where both sides hate their own sides view, but accept it, because it’s better than those other guys. No third option so what are you going to do? With Iphones and music on demand nobody wants to shake the gates and rattle the guard dogs while climbing the barb wire and really having a little fun.

Now the rebels are the kind of people who name a dog ‘fuck’ just for shits and giggles. Piss off the neighbors but that’s about it. Offensive sure, but not proactive in any shape of the imagination. Complacency is a bitch, and I know her well. Where was my generations revolution? Was today the day I stopped caring? I've let down my generation.

I’ll figure it all out later first I have to break these chains and blow up my TV.

AFL

No comments: